Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pin It I love, love, love Thai Food. And Pad Thai is so yummy. I decided to whip up a batch with the Thai noodles I got for real cheap with my Whole Foods coupons/sales. It really tasted authentic! My Pad Thai freak of a husband loved it -- eaten as leftovers (this makes a ton!) the day after because he got too full of beer at an after-work function to eat dinner...and passed out on the floor with the baby crawling around and pulling up on him. This was my Friday night.

Ah, romance.

Vegan Pad Thai

1 medium onion diced
1 large head of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 block tofu, crumbled
10 oz. Pad Thai (or medium sized rice) Noodles
4 tablespoons Tamari
4 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
2 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
1 packet of miso soup paste (my Annie Chun's soup had an extra packet in it. I'm sure about an oz. or two of miso would function the same)
1/3 cup raw sugar or an equal amount of tamarind
lots of red pepper flakes
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
vegetable oil
toasted sesame oil

Boil water for noodles and, in a separate pot, steam broccoli until done. Sautee onions and garlic in mostly veggie oil mixed with a bit of sesame oil until almost done. Push this mixture to one side of the pan, and on the other, add crumbled tofu and sautee until firm and cooked into a scramble. Pour in the broccoli. Whisk the rest of ingredients in a small bowl vigorously until smooth. Prepare noodles as indicated on package. Then add noodles to mixture and mix. At the very end, toss in the sauce. Add more spice if desired.