Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pin It One of the best, cheapest places for a veggie to do brunch in NYC is Kate's Joint on Avenue B. So many delicious memories of stumbling in there hung over from the night before, or just the work week, and being served a sumptuous vegan breakfast, Sunday sun shining through the windows, rock on the speakers and coffee brightening my spirits. Yup, bottomless coffee and a veg bloody mary came with all the breakfast specials! Inevitably I would get the breakfast burrito with tofu scramble instead of egg. Served with rosemary potatoes and some fresh made salsa, it always hit the spot. The other day I decided to make my own breakfast burrito and it was surprisingly good -- almost better in a way!

All I did was sautee some crumbled tofu in earth balance with nutritional yeast, a little turmeric and paprika. Then I added a well-drained 3/4 can of black beans and mixed it all up. Threw it into a pre-made tortilla. Whirred up some nori-mu tofu with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt and maple syrup -- this would be the soy sour creme. Was overzealous with the lemon juice but it didn't matter much once spread in the tortilla. Served with jarred salsa. I bet soy cheddar would have made it over-the-top awesome. I could tell that Kate's froze and thawed the tofu beforehand, and seemed to add parsley. But this version was fine, too.

Now to make the rosemary potatoes WITHOUT rosemary (used to pick this vile weed off each and every potato ). And soon I will start up my bloody marys again. I make some great vegan ones. Easy peasy recipe to come.