Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Pin It I have a very emotional attachment to Israeli Cous Cous, as my Nanny made it for us many times throughout my childhood, just litely browned and with margarine. That reminds me - I have the instructions for stuffed cabbage I got from her a while ago and I need to veganize this treasure.

So, since acorn squash is popping up everywhere...here we go with a stuffed acorn squash recipe! Oh, and I didn't, but this would be great and healthier (actually, the correct term is more healthFUL. A person is healthy. A food is healthFUL. How's that for nerdity?) with another green veggie added in.



Israeli Cous Cous Stuffed Squash
1 acorn squash
1 1/4 cups Israeli Cous Cous (mine from TJ's)
2 large red onions
earth balance
olive oil
many cloves of garlic
nutritional yeast
garlic salt
ground pepper

Cut acorn squash in half with knife and hammer. (Yup! Only way I can do it, but maybe I'm a weakling.) Put halves face down on baking dish with 1/2 inch water. Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or more.

Prepare cous cous according to package. Fry up with olive oil, onions, garlic and spices. When squash is ready, scoop out most of it (throw away or roast seeds and discard the yuck-yuck) and, in another pan, sautee in butter, spices until a nice consistency. Add as much of the cous cous mixture to this as you think you'll need to fill the 2 halves. Fill the halves with the mixture of cous cous and squash and grate soy cheeze on top of each (be generous -- it's delish and not overwhelming at all!) Bake for about 10 more minutes to set. Enjoy! This was really yummy and tons of yum Israeli cous cous mixture left over.