Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pin It I've always been frugal (read: cheap/poor as h-e-double hockey sticks), but nowadays I am really focusing on how to save the most money...especially on food. I had no idea there were so many wonderful blogs that detail EVERYTHING about sales and coupons, where to get them, links etc. I haven't looked too hard, but I have had some trouble finding health food ingredients. So I thought I'd add a few coupons I find every once in a while. I live literally a few blocks from Whole Foods, and even though it is rightfully nickmamed "Whole Paycheck" by all my friends and the media -- it really is a pretty good store. And I find I can get things at a basically reasonable price if I 1)Only shop sales 2) combine with coupons. I almost never buy anything full price here because otherwise we will be in La Maison Pauvre (Chez Pauvre?) tout de suite.

I really made out like a bandit with the coupons they give out in their flyers the last two months. For instance, this month I paid about 80 cents for Lara bars, my quick brekkie fix for when I'm on the go. I have never spent that little, and in fact, I have spent as much as $2.50 for them in a pinch at a bodega in NY. Whoopsie.

But anyway, here are a few deals I found.

Annie Chuns soups were 2 for $4 (trader joe's is cheaper but doesn't have the same selection of flavors) - this came with a mail-in offer for Buy 10 get 1 Free. Also came with $1 off 2 bottles of Honest Tea coupon. (Did you know Honest Tea started out as a university project? I think it was Harvard School of Business.)

Any Earth's Best cereals or teething bars have a buy 10 get $1 off coupon for their jarred baby food, which I occasionally use when out of fresh ingredients -- Baby V actually really enjoys these!

Now for the coupons. Look for booklet-type things out in front of the store. (I'll only mention food ones and only those that are vegan):

OCTOBER/NOVEMBER WHOLE FOODS COUPON BOOKLET ("The Whole Deal")- abridged for vegans

$1 off 365 Everyday Value Maple Syrup
This was on sale for $6.99 last I checked. $5.99 is pretty darn cheap for maple syrup these days

$1 off 365 frozen waffles
eh, i'd rather make pancakes from scratch

75 cents off Thai Kitchen product
I bought rice noodles which were on sale cheap already. You could conceivably get their individual soup mixes that are like 95 cents and barely pay anything.

$1 off Back to Nature product
Never ate these

75 cents of Scharffen Berger or Dagoba products
Yum! Quick fact -- Steve? Scharffenberger is a doll. In my career days he sent me lots of free chocolate and was a very nice person. Did I mention he sent me free chocolate?

$1 off Lundburg rice
Not sure if this is a good deal

$1 off 2 Tasty Bite Products
The Bombay Potatoes with chick peas are da bomb! They were on sale for $2.50 each so these coupons made them only $2.00. Sweet.

$1 off Cascadian Farm cereal
Why is cereal so expensive? So cheap and easy to make your own granola.

$1 off Earthbound Farm Packaged Salad
This was already on sale so I got one. My confession: I am not a huge salad person, even tho people seem to think vegans all are.

75 cents off Imagine products
Got a veggie broth for my husband - he makes a fun veggie potato soup.


$1 off Vans waffles
Again, fro waffles not my style. These are good and vegan tho, if you like.

$1.50 off 2 health valley products

$1.00 off 3 Luna Bar products.
Used three of these and got 9 bars. They were already on sale for close to $1 so it was a steal!!! Even cheaper than Trader Joe's, which always have Luna and Clif Bars for $1 each.


Happy Health Food Shopping!!!

Oh! And here are some great coupon/savings sites. Will add more later:

moneysavingmom.com

babycheapskate blog

Budgetsavingmom.com

thefreebieblogger.com

anallamericanfamily.blogspot.com