Saturday, August 06, 2011

Pin It 'Pacho!!

I made an amazing gazpacho the other day -- something I have been fantasizing about every summer for years but somehow never got around to. HELLO!? So easy!! And really good, refreshing, and versatile. Mr. V popped some defrosted cooked shrimp from Trader Joe's on top and was in heaven! I also provided a little bowl of chopped up veggies to sprinkle on top for extra crunch. Yum! Klassy. I would love to serve this in a fun way, like in a margarita or martini glass with a lemon or lime hangin' over the edge. Spectack.

I didn't get a pic, but I did get one of the chickpea salad I made tonight.


Quick N' Easy Gazpacho

5 vine tomatoes, peeled and chopped coarsely
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1/2 yellow, red or green pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups tomato juice
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbs tamari
1 tsp, sugar
salt to taste
Old Bay seasoning (oh yes I did!) to taste


Pulse in blender for 10 seconds or until desired consistency is reached. You may have to do this in small batches.


Now on to the...






Chickpea Salad

2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked and cooked
1 large red onion, chopped fairly fine
1 clove garlic, minced
3 large handfuls of grape tomatoes, halved
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
dried parsley and salt to taste

Combine all ingredients, marinate for at least 4 hours.