Monday, November 01, 2010

Pin It Chick Pea Paradise!

Well, I made fresh chick peas yesterday. It's usually the only thing I'll eat canned, but oh my, have you tried these things fresh lately? Sooo nutty and flavorful. I fried a bunch up with salt and paprika in olive oil --- heavenly. And then used the rest for this hummus recipe. I used very little water because I like my hummus thick (like my men...j/k!). It was really great, and such a treat to eat warm. I finally broke out my food processor, after MUMBLE MUMBLE years. And so far, what a treat! It took like five minutes to make the thing. What a powerful machine! I really look forward to using it more.

Anyways, so a tip in case you lose track of your measurements along the way (which I did), is that 1 cup dried chickpeas = 2 cups cooked. Easy! I soaked them over night and then cooked as the directions called. It didn't take long at all to cook -- I wonder if using a smaller pot than I usually use to cook beans was the reason? Another tip -- after I brought it to a boil, I skimmed off the foam.

I left out the pine nuts because I'm not a huge fan.