Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pin It OrganicsToYou...IHeartYou!

OK, I've only received my first box so far, but I'm loving my OrganicsToYou! Wow! A big box filled with organic, and mostly local, vegetables and fruits is just so exciting to me. I feel like this is really going to force me to use fresh produce in ALL of my cooking. C'mon lazy bones, let's do this!!!
So I went a little buck wild and used a bunch of the ingredients in one meal last night. This soup was cozy, filling, delicious, and easy. On a rare snowy night here in Oregon, what else can you ask for?
P.S. - I'll highlight in red what was from THE BOX!


IHeartOrganicsToYou Hearty Chickenless Soup

2 turnips, peeled and cubed
1 onion, peeled and cubed
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 leek, white part only, chopped (would have used a couple more if it had been in there)
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
8 small, cute carrots, chopped into rounds
1 beet, peeled and cubed (this was a great addition, so if you have more beets, I would add a beet or two)
1 1/2 boxes of Imagine No-Chicken Broth
Nutritional Yeast to taste
4 squirts of Bragg's Aminos
2 squirts of Lemon Juice
Paprika to taste
Garlic Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Pat of Earth Balance
Olive OilS

Sautee onions, leeks and garlic in Earth Balance and Olive oil until translucent. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients. Sautee for a bit. Add Broth, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all is cooked but firm.